Skip to main content

The Gourd Seller & Other Stories - Abha Iyengar

As a child, I remember detesting any form of gourd except of course if my grandmother transformed it into a delicious and warm halwa (sweet pudding). Now, I am more open to experimenting with food and since I live away from India, seeing this vegetable in my local supermarket makes me rather nostalgic. So when I came across a book with this vegetable named in its title, my curiosity was piqued. What was so interesting about this plain looking (and tasting) vegetable?

‘The Gourd Seller & Other Stories’ is a collection of 8 short stories by Abha Iyengar. This is the first time I have read her work and I must say I am suitably impressed. I finished the book in one sitting as I found her style of writing to be very engaging. The stories narrate the desires, struggles and hopes of people living in urban India and it would be fair to say that most stories in this book are set against the backdrop of North India. Iyengar manages to recreate scenes that are not difficult to imagine because her words facilitate this process for the reader quite effortlessly.

The 8 stories in order of appearance in the book are:

  • The Gourd Seller
  • The High Stool
  • Market Territories
  • A Family of Beauties
  • Jagged Edges
  • A Matter of Time
  • Drought Country
  • Haircut Sunday


The themes that are addressed in these stories reminded me of ‘modern day demons’ that people have to sometimes fight and at other times endure. It would be important to point out that each story left me wanting more. I say this not because of the lack of characterisation but because I felt like I wanted to ‘live with’ the characters for a little while longer; to empathise with their daily lives be it their experience(s) of joy and/or pain. The credit here goes entirely to Iyengar as I ended up liking the stories so much that I wanted to find out more! Well, I think that is the beauty of short stories and the author certainly manages to hit the right spot. 

The plots are cleverly crafted and often take advantage of the reader’s tendency to fall prey to cognitive misery.  This is well demonstrated in one particular story but I will leave you to guess which one once you have read the book. The conclusions of the stories are diverse in that some are well explained whilst others are open to interpretation by the reader. I won’t categorise the stories for you as that will hold me guilty of spoiling all the fun.

On a concluding note, this book definitely needs to be promoted far and wide so that the world is made aware that we have other Indian writers apart from Jhumpa Lahiri who have mastered the art of short story telling!





Comments

  1. Perfectly expressed - I feel nostalgic as well when I think of Gourd, I guess that happens as a result of childhood memories related with it. Glad that you mentioned they are short stories as I'm hooked on to them for the word go. At the same time appreciate your effort not to categorise these stories as that would've sucked the essence out of these stories for the new readers. As always, an amazing review again pearled amazingly with the choice of words perfectly describing the theme of the book and yet not giving much away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am sure you will enjoy this book.

      Delete
  2. Hi Think-Tank,

    We would like to reprint your review of The Gourd Seller and Other Stories on our website http://indianshortstoryinenglish.com/reviews/abha-iyengar-the-gourd-seller-other-stories/ which is archival database of Indian Short Stories published in English. We will give credit to you and Desi-Lekh and add a link to your website.

    Thank you

    Murli Melwani
    For: Team:ISSE
    murli@unigain.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Murli,

      That would be wonderful! Please let me know once you have reprinted this on your website.

      Best wishes,

      Desi Lekh

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Desi Lekh,

      We'll certainly inform you once the review has been uploaded

      Murli

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sab Moha Maya Hai - For The Sake of Valentine's Day!

14th February, Valentine’s Day. A day we are told we must “celebrate” as it epitomises this wonderful emotion that we as humans are capable of – Love.


“So, what are your plans for the day?” I was asked this question about a million times today and all I said was “Oh! I don’t know, I’m very unromantic!” to which I got responses like “But it’s the day of love” or “Come on! you need to celebrate love!” and so on. Having reflected upon this small talk that people often engage in to ease the awkward silences, I felt the need to put my thoughts to paper about the difference between romance and love as I find the two are often confused- one for the other. Romance is an expression of love, not love itself. Love is when you consistently strive for the wellbeing of another despite it causing you discomfort or pain. It is unconditional, not based on trivialities like tokens of affection which have sadly come to become measures of the extent of love. If you buy me a cake, you love me 30%, a design…

Flesh and Bone and Water - Luiza Sauma

I was delighted to receive this book for review from Penguin UK. Having grown up with memories of the Penguin logo in almost every bookshop I visited, it felt wonderful to be recognised as a reviewer by this world renowned publishing house. 'Flesh and Bone and Water' has nothing to do with South Asia. However, the commonality it shares with the region is that it is set in Brazil, a place that is often referred to as also being part of the 'third world' group of nations. "It's easy to leave a place when you're young. Coming back is harder. That's my advice : stay where you are." And so begins this beautiful novel which I would term as part coming of age and part an immigrant's journey from Brazil to Londres (London). More importantly why does the protagonist Andre venture back on a journey to his childhood home? The author Luiza Sauma has very poignantly narrated the story in first person so it feels like Andre is telling you his own story. You…

Serving Crazy With Curry - Amulya Malladi

Food! - That wonderful part of our existence that not only plays the essential role of providing daily sustenance but is also an archetype of culture and tradition. For me, food is a meaningful catalyst to creating unforgettable memories and associations. There are certain foods that I associate with certain events or significant people in my life. I also seek comfort in food be it a hot bowl of dal rice after a hard day at work or a sneaky piece of chocolate as a reward for achieving something (Yes, I do apply the principles of behavioural psychology to my own life!)
I first came across Amulya Malladi’s books in London’s local libraries. I was impressed that her books are well stocked which is an indication of their popularity. I read a couple of these books and soon found out the reason for this. Two words – Writing and Characters! Her writing is immensely engaging and her characters threaten to come alive page by page. This certainly applies to ‘Serving Crazy with Curry’.
Devi, our …