Skip to main content

Those Pricey Thakur Girls - Anuja Chauhan

I would normally be very suspicious of a book title that uses the adjective ‘pricey’ to describe the female gender but then my eyes were drawn towards the gaze of the feline on the cover and then to the colourful flip flops and finally to the shadows on the wall.  So in summary, I saw colour (game!), a cat (set!) and summer (match!). Did I just judge a book by its cover? Of course I did and I have no regrets!

Five sisters with their unique personalities, their quirky parents and a big mansion… does this ring a bell? And did I just hear you groan about it being a desi rip off on Jane Austen’s Pride & Prejudice?! I want to clear that misconception right at the start. Although it is tempting to fall prey to the beast that is cognitive misery by drawing parallels between both books, such a thought wouldn’t do justice to either.

Laxmi Narayan Thakur, a seasoned High Court Judge and his wife Mamta live in a sprawling mansion on New Delhi’s affluent Hailey Road. Their brood of 5 inimitable daughters are alphabetically named - is this a consequence of unabashed lack of imagination or some sort of compulsive disorder?

Anjini, the oldest, is carefree and very unlike what you would expect of a sibling leading a pack of 5! Binodini, is more worried about her children’s inheritance of the mansion than her own relationship with her sisters; Chandrakanta is a rebel as demonstrated by her elopement with a foreigner the night before her wedding; Debjani, is spunky and always fighting for the greater good and finally, Eshawari, is still in school and to say she is popular would be an understatement. 

You will also be entertained by Laxmi Thakur’s sister in law, her philandering husband, their not so smart son and a long standing family anecdote about the girls’ grandparents that takes on different versions based on who the narrator is! There are a few other characters that become known during the course of the story and to reveal them here would only spoil it for you!  Oh wait! Let me tell you about just one more character…Dylan Singh Shekhawat…..is he our romantic hero? Which of the five girls would you pair him with?

Although character development is effective, I would have liked to know more about Chandrakanta and Binodini as Chauhan tends to focus more on the oldest and younger two and this in a way reinforces for me the existence of the ‘middle child’ syndrome. That said, her characterisation of certain personalities is so rich that you distinctly like some, others you are irritated by and still others, simply amused by!

The language used in the book is full of humour and local Delhi slang and the ambience described through the course of the novel gives you a good feel for Delhi in the seventies. There are many LOL moments in the book and I would definitely recommend it as an entertaining travel companion.  I read this book on a flight to India and the fatigue of the long journey was made bearable by this delightful read. The book is definitely for you if you enjoy romantic comedies. So why not try this genre with some desi tadka?

'Those Pricey Thakur Girls' has a sequel - 'The House That BJ Built', which I will review soon so watch this space.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sab Moha Maya Hai - For The Sake of Valentine's Day!

14th February, Valentine’s Day. A day we are told we must “celebrate” as it epitomises this wonderful emotion that we as humans are capable of – Love.


“So, what are your plans for the day?” I was asked this question about a million times today and all I said was “Oh! I don’t know, I’m very unromantic!” to which I got responses like “But it’s the day of love” or “Come on! you need to celebrate love!” and so on. Having reflected upon this small talk that people often engage in to ease the awkward silences, I felt the need to put my thoughts to paper about the difference between romance and love as I find the two are often confused- one for the other. Romance is an expression of love, not love itself. Love is when you consistently strive for the wellbeing of another despite it causing you discomfort or pain. It is unconditional, not based on trivialities like tokens of affection which have sadly come to become measures of the extent of love. If you buy me a cake, you love me 30%, a design…

Flesh and Bone and Water - Luiza Sauma

I was delighted to receive this book for review from Penguin UK. Having grown up with memories of the Penguin logo in almost every bookshop I visited, it felt wonderful to be recognised as a reviewer by this world renowned publishing house. 'Flesh and Bone and Water' has nothing to do with South Asia. However, the commonality it shares with the region is that it is set in Brazil, a place that is often referred to as also being part of the 'third world' group of nations. "It's easy to leave a place when you're young. Coming back is harder. That's my advice : stay where you are." And so begins this beautiful novel which I would term as part coming of age and part an immigrant's journey from Brazil to Londres (London). More importantly why does the protagonist Andre venture back on a journey to his childhood home? The author Luiza Sauma has very poignantly narrated the story in first person so it feels like Andre is telling you his own story. You…

Serving Crazy With Curry - Amulya Malladi

Food! - That wonderful part of our existence that not only plays the essential role of providing daily sustenance but is also an archetype of culture and tradition. For me, food is a meaningful catalyst to creating unforgettable memories and associations. There are certain foods that I associate with certain events or significant people in my life. I also seek comfort in food be it a hot bowl of dal rice after a hard day at work or a sneaky piece of chocolate as a reward for achieving something (Yes, I do apply the principles of behavioural psychology to my own life!)
I first came across Amulya Malladi’s books in London’s local libraries. I was impressed that her books are well stocked which is an indication of their popularity. I read a couple of these books and soon found out the reason for this. Two words – Writing and Characters! Her writing is immensely engaging and her characters threaten to come alive page by page. This certainly applies to ‘Serving Crazy with Curry’.
Devi, our …