Skip to main content

Teresa's Man & Other Stories from Goa - Damodar Mauzo (Translated from Konkani by Xavier Cota)


What better day to write about this book than one where the sun is shining through my window and reminding me of a place that I have wonderful memories of – Goa! Family vacations, good food and sunshine. ‘Teresa’s Man & Other Stories’ by Damodar Mauzo was originally written in Konkani and has been translated into English by Xavier Cota. When I became aware of this, I was thrilled to say the least as Konkani is my mother tongue and is spoken only by a minority of the Indian populace. The translator’s note at the very end of the book is very insightful as it gives you a few facts about the book e.g. that it was written across 4 decades.

The flavour of the book is humble as its stories narrate the lives of Goans. One is often reminded of the idyllic way of life and at the same time one inevitably takes notice of the fact that although Goa is a vacation spot for many, for Goans it still remains a place where they have to earn a livelihood and face life in all its hues. The stories do a good job of providing a glimpse into the customs and lifestyle of Goa’s 2 dominant religious communities – Christianity and Hinduism.

The book cover is very attractive as it depicts a sketch of a Goan village and makes one want to instantly find out what lies within. The characters come briskly to life in the various stories and I found a couple of characters so endearing that I reread that story! I won’t reveal  which one as I don’t want to create a bias before you even start reading.

There are 14 stories in total and my most favourite ones are ‘The Vighnaharta’ as it spoke of the Ganesh Chaturhi festival which has great significance to me and my family and ‘Electoral Empowerment’ which beautifully narrates how the simple act of casting a vote can lead to women empowerment in a patriarchal society. To be fair, I have to say that of all the stories, I didn’t like the one mentioned in the title of the book ‘Teresa’s Man’ as according to me it serves to fan the proverbial patriarchal furnace that Indian society often is.

I enjoyed reading this book and it has definitely made it to my list of favourites. Credit here goes to translators like Xavier Cota that create awareness about the rich body of literature that exists in India’s many regional languages. This book is a great find and is truly a gem! I have well and truly been initiated into translated work and look forward to seeking out many more such books.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sab Moha Maya Hai - For The Sake of Valentine's Day!

14th February, Valentine’s Day. A day we are told we must “celebrate” as it epitomises this wonderful emotion that we as humans are capable of – Love.


“So, what are your plans for the day?” I was asked this question about a million times today and all I said was “Oh! I don’t know, I’m very unromantic!” to which I got responses like “But it’s the day of love” or “Come on! you need to celebrate love!” and so on. Having reflected upon this small talk that people often engage in to ease the awkward silences, I felt the need to put my thoughts to paper about the difference between romance and love as I find the two are often confused- one for the other. Romance is an expression of love, not love itself. Love is when you consistently strive for the wellbeing of another despite it causing you discomfort or pain. It is unconditional, not based on trivialities like tokens of affection which have sadly come to become measures of the extent of love. If you buy me a cake, you love me 30%, a design…

Flesh and Bone and Water - Luiza Sauma

I was delighted to receive this book for review from Penguin UK. Having grown up with memories of the Penguin logo in almost every bookshop I visited, it felt wonderful to be recognised as a reviewer by this world renowned publishing house. 'Flesh and Bone and Water' has nothing to do with South Asia. However, the commonality it shares with the region is that it is set in Brazil, a place that is often referred to as also being part of the 'third world' group of nations. "It's easy to leave a place when you're young. Coming back is harder. That's my advice : stay where you are." And so begins this beautiful novel which I would term as part coming of age and part an immigrant's journey from Brazil to Londres (London). More importantly why does the protagonist Andre venture back on a journey to his childhood home? The author Luiza Sauma has very poignantly narrated the story in first person so it feels like Andre is telling you his own story. You…

Serving Crazy With Curry - Amulya Malladi

Food! - That wonderful part of our existence that not only plays the essential role of providing daily sustenance but is also an archetype of culture and tradition. For me, food is a meaningful catalyst to creating unforgettable memories and associations. There are certain foods that I associate with certain events or significant people in my life. I also seek comfort in food be it a hot bowl of dal rice after a hard day at work or a sneaky piece of chocolate as a reward for achieving something (Yes, I do apply the principles of behavioural psychology to my own life!)
I first came across Amulya Malladi’s books in London’s local libraries. I was impressed that her books are well stocked which is an indication of their popularity. I read a couple of these books and soon found out the reason for this. Two words – Writing and Characters! Her writing is immensely engaging and her characters threaten to come alive page by page. This certainly applies to ‘Serving Crazy with Curry’.
Devi, our …