Skip to main content

Sofia Khan is Not Obliged - Ayisha Malik


Have you heard about the Poppy Loves Bookclub? If not, go check them out! I first learnt of ‘Sofia Khan is Not Obliged’ via the book club’s Instagram feed and the cover page and plot summary instantly piqued my curiosity.

I have always been intrigued by immigrant stories and cross-cultural influences and Sofia Khan is Not Obliged was right up my street! This is not your typical serious sounding novel. It is full of humour and some may even class it as a ‘romantic comedy’. I loved the protagonist Sofia Khan who is a first generation British Pakistani living with her parents and sister in London.

Sofia works at a media/publishing firm and is somehow (perhaps because of her “diverse” profile) is asked by her boss to write a book about the Muslim dating scene! And here starts Sofia’s journey to find stories for her book.

Sofia has a tight knit group of girlfriends who clearly provide her with strong emotional support. Her relationship with her older sister and parents is very endearing. Whilst having just come out of a long-standing relationship with a guy that she thought she would end up marrying (if only that hole in the wall situation didn’t occur – yes, read the book!) Sofia has to constantly battle with relatives who are obsessed with finding out when she plans to get married. The chaos that often ensues in a South Asian family especially during joyous occasions or festivals can be quite deterring when one has a book to write or a job to complete! This brings Sofia to befriend their unassuming Irish neighbour Conall with the hope of finding some peace and quiet i.e. writing time.

During the course of the story the author Ayisha Malik has tactfully presented racial stereotypes surrounding the wearing of the hijab, facing racist comments and alcohol consumption. Malik’s writing style makes for easy reading and there were a few moments that made me laugh out loud even on London’s very serious underground.

As we are led through Sofia’s life you realise that outside of the socio-cultural boundaries that seem to exist as a result of her religion and/or race, Sofia’s motivations, desires and a will to succeed resonate with any other girl her age.

This is Malik’s first book and I am already on a look out for another book by her. I am not exaggerating when I say that this is a truly heart-warming read!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sab Moha Maya Hai - For The Sake of Valentine's Day!

14th February, Valentine’s Day. A day we are told we must “celebrate” as it epitomises this wonderful emotion that we as humans are capable of – Love.


“So, what are your plans for the day?” I was asked this question about a million times today and all I said was “Oh! I don’t know, I’m very unromantic!” to which I got responses like “But it’s the day of love” or “Come on! you need to celebrate love!” and so on. Having reflected upon this small talk that people often engage in to ease the awkward silences, I felt the need to put my thoughts to paper about the difference between romance and love as I find the two are often confused- one for the other. Romance is an expression of love, not love itself. Love is when you consistently strive for the wellbeing of another despite it causing you discomfort or pain. It is unconditional, not based on trivialities like tokens of affection which have sadly come to become measures of the extent of love. If you buy me a cake, you love me 30%, a design…

Flesh and Bone and Water - Luiza Sauma

I was delighted to receive this book for review from Penguin UK. Having grown up with memories of the Penguin logo in almost every bookshop I visited, it felt wonderful to be recognised as a reviewer by this world renowned publishing house. 'Flesh and Bone and Water' has nothing to do with South Asia. However, the commonality it shares with the region is that it is set in Brazil, a place that is often referred to as also being part of the 'third world' group of nations. "It's easy to leave a place when you're young. Coming back is harder. That's my advice : stay where you are." And so begins this beautiful novel which I would term as part coming of age and part an immigrant's journey from Brazil to Londres (London). More importantly why does the protagonist Andre venture back on a journey to his childhood home? The author Luiza Sauma has very poignantly narrated the story in first person so it feels like Andre is telling you his own story. You…

Serving Crazy With Curry - Amulya Malladi

Food! - That wonderful part of our existence that not only plays the essential role of providing daily sustenance but is also an archetype of culture and tradition. For me, food is a meaningful catalyst to creating unforgettable memories and associations. There are certain foods that I associate with certain events or significant people in my life. I also seek comfort in food be it a hot bowl of dal rice after a hard day at work or a sneaky piece of chocolate as a reward for achieving something (Yes, I do apply the principles of behavioural psychology to my own life!)
I first came across Amulya Malladi’s books in London’s local libraries. I was impressed that her books are well stocked which is an indication of their popularity. I read a couple of these books and soon found out the reason for this. Two words – Writing and Characters! Her writing is immensely engaging and her characters threaten to come alive page by page. This certainly applies to ‘Serving Crazy with Curry’.
Devi, our …