Skip to main content

A Daughter's Courage - Renita D'Silva


I have always admired Renita D’silva’s writing style as it manages to strike a right chord by combining emotion, drama and some sort of connection to the characters’ past. It would be wrong of me to not admit that her stories are set in Karnataka and that instantly helps me relate a lot more to the characters and setting. I love reading her descriptions of Karnataka’s villages, its people and even food!

‘A Daughter’s Courage’ her latest novel makes references to all these aspects and a lot more. It brings to fore the often ignored ‘Devadasi’ practice whereby young girls are groomed to “serve” the temple deity (Goddess Yellamma), priests and rich landlords. In summary, it is prostitution in the name of religion and tradition. It is shocking to note that this practice is still carried out in certain remote parts of Karnataka. Part of the book is set in colonial India so we are also given a glimpse into the lives of British tea plantation owners and their interactions with the “natives”.

Gowri and Lucy to me, are the main protagonists. Gowri, banished into the world of Devadasis and Lucy, married to a tea plantation owner. Their lives appear to be very distinct and yet when you are greater acquainted with their stories, their motives and apparent compromises, their lives to an extent, seem to mirror one another. Apart from Gowri and Lucy, we also have Kavya and Sue. Now, are their lives inter connected at all and how can this be traced back to the lives of Gowri and Lucy? Also, does the title of the book ‘A Daughter’s Courage’ allude to a commonality across these characters – all women, all daughters?

Renita has done a fantastic job in character development and I particularly enjoyed reading about Gowri’s passion for books and reading. This paragraph for example poignantly captures this passion – “I read. And it is magic – I forget the yearning for my family, the ache in my soul; I forget myself. I am an adventuress, an explorer, intrepid and unafraid. I am not beholden to anyone, I am in charge of my own life”.

The story line that Renita has created is extremely engaging as it begins in present day Karnataka with the discovery of a ruined temple and thereafter the stories of each woman mentioned above and their association with this discovery slowly starts to unravel. At no point did I find the plot confusing nor did the supporting characters in the stories of the four women make the narrative tedious. In fact, I would put it down to Renita’s skill as a storyteller that I remained effectively engaged throughout the book.This is a fantastic novel especially if you are interested in India’s colonial past. Also, if you want to find out more about the Devadasi tradition Gowri’s character will provide this insight from the perspective of a Devadasi herself. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and I am already looking forward to Renita’s next piece of work!

Comments

  1. Thank you so much, Snehal, for this lovely review. I am so thrilled you enjoyed A Daughter's Courage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renita for this fantastic read! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sab Moha Maya Hai - For The Sake of Valentine's Day!

14th February, Valentine’s Day. A day we are told we must “celebrate” as it epitomises this wonderful emotion that we as humans are capable of – Love.


“So, what are your plans for the day?” I was asked this question about a million times today and all I said was “Oh! I don’t know, I’m very unromantic!” to which I got responses like “But it’s the day of love” or “Come on! you need to celebrate love!” and so on. Having reflected upon this small talk that people often engage in to ease the awkward silences, I felt the need to put my thoughts to paper about the difference between romance and love as I find the two are often confused- one for the other. Romance is an expression of love, not love itself. Love is when you consistently strive for the wellbeing of another despite it causing you discomfort or pain. It is unconditional, not based on trivialities like tokens of affection which have sadly come to become measures of the extent of love. If you buy me a cake, you love me 30%, a design…

Serving Crazy With Curry - Amulya Malladi

Food! - That wonderful part of our existence that not only plays the essential role of providing daily sustenance but is also an archetype of culture and tradition. For me, food is a meaningful catalyst to creating unforgettable memories and associations. There are certain foods that I associate with certain events or significant people in my life. I also seek comfort in food be it a hot bowl of dal rice after a hard day at work or a sneaky piece of chocolate as a reward for achieving something (Yes, I do apply the principles of behavioural psychology to my own life!)
I first came across Amulya Malladi’s books in London’s local libraries. I was impressed that her books are well stocked which is an indication of their popularity. I read a couple of these books and soon found out the reason for this. Two words – Writing and Characters! Her writing is immensely engaging and her characters threaten to come alive page by page. This certainly applies to ‘Serving Crazy with Curry’.
Devi, our …

Flesh and Bone and Water - Luiza Sauma

I was delighted to receive this book for review from Penguin UK. Having grown up with memories of the Penguin logo in almost every bookshop I visited, it felt wonderful to be recognised as a reviewer by this world renowned publishing house. 'Flesh and Bone and Water' has nothing to do with South Asia. However, the commonality it shares with the region is that it is set in Brazil, a place that is often referred to as also being part of the 'third world' group of nations. "It's easy to leave a place when you're young. Coming back is harder. That's my advice : stay where you are." And so begins this beautiful novel which I would term as part coming of age and part an immigrant's journey from Brazil to Londres (London). More importantly why does the protagonist Andre venture back on a journey to his childhood home? The author Luiza Sauma has very poignantly narrated the story in first person so it feels like Andre is telling you his own story. You…