Skip to main content

The Copenhagen Affair - Amulya Malladi


This is my fourth encounter with Amulya Malladi’s work and it has been quite as enjoyable as the first three times. Through ‘The Copenhagen Affair’, Malladi has brought to fore a mental illness that is often brushed under the carpet – depression. However, it is not a melancholic rendition of the illness rather an insight into a woman’s self awareness and self discovery as she attempts to come to terms with the changes in her life. Along with depression, some light is also shed upon anxiety as a mental condition and how it is ignored and unrecognised whilst it continues to play havoc with the daily life of the sufferer.

The novel begins in California with the protagonist Sanya a financial consultant who appears to be suffering from depression after a particularly stressful incident at work. As a “remedy” her husband Harry suggests they move to Copenhagen as he believes a change of scene will help her recovery. The reader is also made aware of Sanya’s over achieving Indian immigrant parents and sister (all doctors) and the performance expectations that immigrant parents often have of their children.

As Sanya and Harry relocate to Copenhagen for a year under the pretext of Harry’s business deal there, Sanya slowly acclimatises to life in a European city. I loved reading about life in Copenhagen – the importance placed on designers and brands, the various streets, cafes, restaurants and museums as well as the Danish way of life which is often referred to as ‘hygge’. As an HR professional, I particularly found the difference in work life balance in Denmark and America to be very interesting.

Through the course of the story, Malladi has effectively demonstrated the changes that Sanya experiences in her perception of self as well as of others around her. As she rebuilds her confidence and self esteem, she discovers that she too can be assertive and can set the rules around what she expects from her relationship(s) with others rather than being a chronic ‘people pleaser’.

It would be easy for a reader to interpret the title of the book to allude to a romantic liaison. To me, the title meant much more – affair with a new city and more importantly with one’s own self. Malladi’s writing as well as character development is very engaging and I did not feel that her attention to detail was at any point overbearing.

I enjoyed this novel and it has definitely put Copenhagen on my travel itinerary (hopefully in the not so distant future!)

Comments

  1. Hello, I am big fan of Amulya's book especially "Mango Season". Her ability to inject humor in everyday observances especially is noteworthy. Thank you for this review, this will be my next book! Also is there way to subscribe to your blog. I cannot see any link anywhere to subscribe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You can now subscribe to my blog (I have included a subscribe button on the top right corner).

      I enjoyed Mango Season too! I hope you find 'The Copenhagen Affair' interesting!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sab Moha Maya Hai - For The Sake of Valentine's Day!

14th February, Valentine’s Day. A day we are told we must “celebrate” as it epitomises this wonderful emotion that we as humans are capable of – Love.


“So, what are your plans for the day?” I was asked this question about a million times today and all I said was “Oh! I don’t know, I’m very unromantic!” to which I got responses like “But it’s the day of love” or “Come on! you need to celebrate love!” and so on. Having reflected upon this small talk that people often engage in to ease the awkward silences, I felt the need to put my thoughts to paper about the difference between romance and love as I find the two are often confused- one for the other. Romance is an expression of love, not love itself. Love is when you consistently strive for the wellbeing of another despite it causing you discomfort or pain. It is unconditional, not based on trivialities like tokens of affection which have sadly come to become measures of the extent of love. If you buy me a cake, you love me 30%, a design…

Flesh and Bone and Water - Luiza Sauma

I was delighted to receive this book for review from Penguin UK. Having grown up with memories of the Penguin logo in almost every bookshop I visited, it felt wonderful to be recognised as a reviewer by this world renowned publishing house. 'Flesh and Bone and Water' has nothing to do with South Asia. However, the commonality it shares with the region is that it is set in Brazil, a place that is often referred to as also being part of the 'third world' group of nations. "It's easy to leave a place when you're young. Coming back is harder. That's my advice : stay where you are." And so begins this beautiful novel which I would term as part coming of age and part an immigrant's journey from Brazil to Londres (London). More importantly why does the protagonist Andre venture back on a journey to his childhood home? The author Luiza Sauma has very poignantly narrated the story in first person so it feels like Andre is telling you his own story. You…

Serving Crazy With Curry - Amulya Malladi

Food! - That wonderful part of our existence that not only plays the essential role of providing daily sustenance but is also an archetype of culture and tradition. For me, food is a meaningful catalyst to creating unforgettable memories and associations. There are certain foods that I associate with certain events or significant people in my life. I also seek comfort in food be it a hot bowl of dal rice after a hard day at work or a sneaky piece of chocolate as a reward for achieving something (Yes, I do apply the principles of behavioural psychology to my own life!)
I first came across Amulya Malladi’s books in London’s local libraries. I was impressed that her books are well stocked which is an indication of their popularity. I read a couple of these books and soon found out the reason for this. Two words – Writing and Characters! Her writing is immensely engaging and her characters threaten to come alive page by page. This certainly applies to ‘Serving Crazy with Curry’.
Devi, our …